Sunday, February 12, 2006

Big Mountain Sheep


The first day that we arrived at the Grand Canyon we saw a small heard of Big Mountain Sheep along the rim trail. The sheep did not seem so big from a distance. We came face to face with this one while we were climbing out of the Canyon on the Bright Angel trail. I was surprised to see that close up, this one was fairly large. The sheep was coming down the trail at a fairly good speed and I wasn't certain that he was going to stop without bucking us from the trail. He stopped about 10 feet from us and looked at us. Erika who was in back of me on the trail was able to take this picture. I realized that he wanted food and I had a half eaten apple in my pack. I asked Erika to get feed it to the sheep as he continued to come closer to us. She rightly did not comply (keep the animals wild). The sheep passed us with in arms distance to the right of the rocks in the picture (with what I can only describe as a disappointed look on his face).

No comments: