Sunday, February 12, 2006

Working Mules


These mules appeared to be hot (because they were sweating) and I can't imagine too keen on hiking up the steep Kaibob trail. We took the high side of the trail and waited for them to pass . They traveled at a steady pace and you could hear their hoofs pass over the rocks in the distance. I read that the mules are kept at a certain distance between each other so that they can't bite the hind of the mule in front. I would not want to ride a mule in the canyon. It does not seem like a comfortable ride and it seems like a long fall from a top of a mule. Another interesting thing I saw...the mules sleeping in the coral at the top of the Kaibob trail were laid out fast asleep. They didn't move a muscle and I wondered if they were dead. I think they were very tired.

No comments: